If you are a cricket fan, chances are you have used CrickBuzz at some point to check the latest scores, stats, news and videos of your favourite teams and players. CrickBuzz is the ultimate destination for cricket lovers who want to stay updated and entertained with everything related to the game. But do you know how CrickBuzz came to be? How did a small idea turn into a massive phenomenon that reaches millions of people every day? In this blog, we will reveal the inspiring story of CrickBuzz, from its humble beginnings to its current status as a global cricket authority.
|Headquarters||Bengaluru, Karnataka, India|
|Founders||Pankaj Chhaparwal, Piyush Agarwal, and Pravin Hegde|
|Founded||2004, Mobile app – 2010|
|Parent Organization/Owner||Times Internet|
The story of CrickBuzz begins in 2004, when a group of cricket enthusiasts decided to create a website that would provide live cricket updates to the fans. They named it CrickBuzz, a combination of cricket and buzz, to reflect their passion and excitement for the game. The website was simple and basic, but it had one unique feature: it used a proprietary algorithm to calculate the probable score of a team based on the current situation of the match. This feature, called CricRate, was an instant hit among users, who loved to see how the match could unfold in different scenarios. Cricbuzz is owned by Times Internet Limited.
|Operating Revenue||Over INR 500 cr|
|Return on Equity||-8.10 %|
|Total Assets||8.81 %|
|Fixed Assets||-17.59 %|
Founders of CrickBuzz and their early days:
The founders of CrickBuzz are Pankaj Chhaparwal, Piyush Agarwal, and Pravin Hegde. They are all cricket enthusiasts who wanted to create a website that would provide live cricket updates to the fans. They launched CrickBuzz in 2004, with a simple and basic design, but with a unique feature called CricRate, which used a proprietary algorithm to calculate the probable score of a team based on the current situation of the match. This feature was an instant hit among the users, who loved to see how the match could unfold in different scenarios.
The founders worked hard to improve and expand their website, adding more features and services, such as news, videos, rankings, commentary, analysis and fantasy games. They also developed a mobile app for CrickBuzz in 2010, which became one of the most popular apps for cricket news and scores in India. In 2014, they sold a majority stake in CrickBuzz to Times Internet, a subsidiary of Times of India, for an undisclosed sum. The website continues to be managed by the original founders.
Expansion strategies of CrickBuzz
CrickBuzz soon gained popularity and recognition among the cricket community, especially in India, where cricket is more than just a sport. The website attracted more and more visitors, who appreciated its fast and accurate updates, user-friendly interface and engaging content. CrickBuzz also expanded its team and added more features and services, such as news, videos, rankings, commentary, analysis and fantasy games. CrickBuzz became a one-stop shop for all things cricket.
However, CrickBuzz did not stop there. It realized that the world of cricket was changing rapidly, and it had to keep up with the trends and demands of the fans. It embraced the new technologies and platforms that emerged in the digital space, such as mobile apps, social media, podcasts and live streaming. It also diversified its content and audience, covering not only international and domestic cricket matches, but also women’s cricket, T20 leagues, regional tournaments and emerging nations. It also collaborated with various cricket boards, broadcasters, sponsors and celebrities to create exclusive and original content for its users. CrickBuzz became a global brand that reached millions of people across different countries and languages.
CrickBuzz has adopted various expansion strategies to grow its user base and reach new markets. Some of these strategies are:
- Video advertising: CrickBuzz has created catchy and humorous TV commercials that showcase everyday life situations and how people use CrickBuzz to stay updated with cricket. These ads have helped CrickBuzz to attract young smartphone users and cricket lovers as their audience.
- Social media platforms: CrickBuzz has leveraged social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to share live match updates and rich content with its users. CrickBuzz has also engaged with its fans through interactive posts, polls, quizzes and contests. CrickBuzz has a large and loyal fan base on social media, with over 395k followers on Twitter
- Commentary: CrickBuzz has hired renowned cricket experts and commentators like Harsha Bhogle, Simon Doull, Michael Vaughan and others to provide insightful and entertaining commentary for its users. CrickBuzz has also produced original video shows like Cricbuzz Live, Cricbuzz Chatter and Spicy Pitch, where the commentators discuss and analyse various aspects of the game.
- Spicy Pitch: CrickBuzz has launched a web series called Spicy Pitch, where it showcases the personal stories and journeys of some of the famous cricketers from India. The series features cricketers like Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah and others, who share their struggles, achievements and inspirations with the viewers. The series aims to inspire and motivate young cricket aspirants in India.
- IPL Song: CrickBuzz has also created a catchy and upbeat song for the Indian Premier League (IPL), which is one of the most popular and lucrative cricket tournaments in the world. The song celebrates the passion and excitement of the IPL fans and features some of the star players from different teams. The song has become a hit among IPL lovers and has boosted CrickBuzz’s brand awareness and recall.
Today, CrickBuzz is one of the most successful and influential cricket websites in the world. It has won several awards and accolades for its innovation and excellence in the digital cricket space. It has also created a loyal and passionate fan base that trusts and loves CrickBuzz for its quality and consistency. CrickBuzz is not just a website, but a phenomenon that has revolutionized the way people consume and enjoy cricket.