BCCI, the richest cricket board in the world is organizing Indian Premier League (IPL) from 9th April, 2016. We thought this would be a good time to curate a few interesting facts about BCCI.
1. BCCI- Board of Control for Cricket in India– is the governing body for cricket in India.
2. The 87 year old Board was formed in December 1928.
3. The BCCI is a society and a not for profit organization and the profits (surplus) earned by BCCI have to be reinvested into the betterment of cricket in India.
4. The sources of income for the BCCI are media rights, sponsorship income, sale of tickets, income from international tours and interest income.
5. In FY 2014-15, the Board reported a total income of INR 1266.41 crores and its Surplus of income over expenditure stood at INR 167 crores. The latter stood at INR 526 crores in FY 2013-14. Indian Premier League contributed INR 126.17 crores to the surplus.
6. The expenditure on domestic and international tournaments stood at INR 84.26 crores and 62.48 crores, respectively.
7. The Board has to pay revenue share to the players as well. This stood at INR 11 crores.
8. India’s tour to England in 2014 earned the Board the highest income of INR 27.63 crores.
9. How cash rich is the BCCI? Its interest income on FD and savings accounts stood at INR 85.94 crores in FY 2014-15.
10. The 2014 Champions League which was jointly organized by BCCI, Cricket Australia and Cricket South Africa, cost the BCCI INR 628 crores. The Champions League has since been abandoned. It sold tickets worth 9.58 crores.
11. BCCI has an inventory of cricket balls worth INR 1.18 crores!
12. To be even invited for placing bids for a tender at IPL you need to pay INR 2 lacs.
13. The Indian cricket players are divided into 3 grades- A,B and C and are paid according to their grade. Dhoni, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Ashwin and Bhuvaneshwar Kumar were in grade A in FY 2014-15.
Author– Vishal, a Sci-fi enthusiast, engineer by mistake and writer by choice, combines his eye for numbers with a natural flair for storytelling to churn out Tofler’s blogs.
Editor – Anchal, co-founder at Tofler, is a CA, CS and has more than 5 years experience in company analysis. She likes to explore and track companies, their performance and senior management.